What to Do

What to do:

A person who experiences an incident of sexual misconduct has a number of options to consider. 

  • Contact the Women's Resource and Action Center (WRAC) or Program to Aid Victims of Sexual Assault (PAVSA). Both resources are completely confidential, and both have advocates who can help you make decisions. WRAC can help you get connected with the right office to help you make supportive changes (including living accommodations, class schedules, etc.). More information about WRAC and PAVSA can be found on the Support page of this website.
  • Contact the University of Minnesota Police Department (UMDPD).
  • Seek medical attention.
  • Report the incident to the University of Minnesota's Equal Opportunity & Title IX Office.
  • Contact UMD Counseling Services (part of UMD Health Services).
  • Contact parents, friends, or support persons.

What to know:

  • You set the pace.
  • You have the right to choose who you will speak to, what resources you will use, what you will say and when you will say it.
  • There are many resources available to you, both on campus and off campus (see the Support page of this website for a list).
  • It is your choice whether to name the other person(s) involved in the incident.
  • Your information will be kept private and only shared with those who need to know.
  • UMD will carefully consider your request for confidentiality. The University supports your well-being as well as the well-being and safety of our University and Duluth communities.
  • You do not have to make any decisions immediately, but if there is a chance you might pursue a criminal investigation, it is important to preserve evidence (see below).

For sexual assault or rape: Please do not change or shower. If you do remove items of clothing, place them in a paper (not plastic) bag. If oral contact took place, try not to smoke, eat, drink, or brush your teeth. Consider seeking a health care provider who will be able to check you for injuries, talk to you about possible pregnancy concerns and/or sexually transmitted infections, and collect evidence.